Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wishful statements

The word wish is similar in meaning to the expression "would like":

I wish I had a big house = I would like to have a big house. (My house now is small)
I wish I had been there = I would like to have been there.(but I wasn't there)
I wish you would stop talking = I would like you to stop talking.
I wish to see the manager = I would like to see the manager.
I wish you a Merry Christmas = I would like you to have a Merry Christmas.

Its main use is to express regret that things are not different. It is possible to use wish in this way to talk about both the present/future and the past:

I wish (that) I weren't here now.(I'd like to be somewhere else!)
I wish (that) I didn't have to go to school tomorrow.(...but I have to)
I wish (that) I had studied harder when I was at school.(I didn't study enough)

Notice that the verb tenses that follow wish are the same as those used in the second and third conditionals (see Grammar definitions).

Also notice the word that can be omitted in more informal speech.

The expression wishwould is used to talk about (lack of) willingness to do things:

I wish you would tidy your room.(becasue your room is a mess)
I wish you wouldn't always come home so late. (you never come on time

In a formal style, wish + (object) + infinitive can be used in the same way as "want":

I wish to speak to the director.
Do you wish me to serve refreshments, sir?
Wish is also used in some fixed expressions:
I/we wish you a Merry Christmas (and a Happy New Year).
I/we wish you well/all the best. (sources: http://www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish-central-grammar-wish.htm)

WISH

WISH CHART 

 EXERCISES 


0 comments:

Dictionary Thesaurus
-------->Other Online Dictionaries!!!

Contact Me

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »