Monday, May 11, 2009

Types of Conditionals. Inverted Conditionlas

Click on the picture to enlarge!

Inverted Conditionals





Conditionals are dependent clauses that begin with the word 'if':

If we finish our homework, we can go to the beach.

If a conditional phrase uses the verbs had, should, or were you can invert the subject and a verb. Take a look at these pairs of sentences:

    Normal: If I had finished my homework, I would have called you. Inverted: Had I finished my homework, I would have called you. Normal: If you should happen to see my wife, tell her I called. Inverted: Should you happen to see my wife, tell her I called. Normal: If he were really a good teacher, he would let us go early. Inverted: Were he really a good teacher, he would let us go early.
Notice that the auxiliary (helping) verb is moved to the front, and the word 'if' is deleted. 

© 2002, Michael D. Turner Further Practice. 

0 comments:

Dictionary Thesaurus
-------->Other Online Dictionaries!!!

Contact Me

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »